August 21, 2007

Stepping Out

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by.
--Robert Frost

There are many "diverging roads" in life. What college to attend? Who should I marry? Where should I live? Each decision leads inexorably onward - there is no flipping back the pages like a real-life "Choose Your Own Adventure".

I believe the choices a person makes when faced with a potential opportunity say a lot about their character. For most of my life, I've been a "play-it-safe" kind of guy. What does that lead to? A safe life, without much risk of failure, and without much chance at spectacular success.

In my heart, I desire to take the bold and daring road. I recently watched several hours of "X-Games", and found myself respecting these athletes more than any other sport. Why? Because they live life without fear. They know that in order to perform an awe-inspiring trick or to win the gold, they must push themselves. And fail. And get back up and do it again.



I want to be a man who pushes himself, going all out for God, all out for my family, all out in my career. While thinking these thoughts (and inspired during a poetry teaching by my man P Duddy), I wrote the following.


What if I fail? What if I fall?
What if I can't accomplish Your call?
What if I'm not on the right track at all?

Keep me upright. Lord, keep me tall.

Better to relax in what I've done so far?
Better to stay put and lower the bar?
Better to play it safe, and end up subpar?

Give me the strength. Lord, make me a star.

1 comment:

Matthew Rodatus said...

Good call, Josiah. Thanks for posting.

It's so easy to get comfortable with life, but I, too, want to give my life in Christ every ounce of strength I have; and, when I come to the end of my strength, I want to be always seeking Him for more, to be "strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light" (Colossians 1:11-12).